Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Embroidery On Knits



I’ve been making embroidered mitts for about six years now. Five years ago I published a free pattern called Harlequin Mitts. It’s been a popular project with color work students. The original pattern didn’t include graphics for embroidery and so last winter I decided to update the pattern with a new cuff stitch and to include a couple of motifs that could be transferred for embroidery. The Happy Dance Mitt pattern as well as a coordinating Happy dance hat pattern has now been published to Ravelry. Basic embroidery instructions are included in the pattern, but thought I would share a few more photos and info here. Please feel free to post questions- I hope you might enjoy making these as much as I do.

I start with a finished – soaked, blocked and dried piece. This will give you a smother more even surface to work on. I have to admit this is the hardest part for me- it’s difficult to wait for things to dry when I’m excited to get going with the embroidery.

1.Using washable transfer fabric trace design with a permanent marker. I have used two different products made by Pellon. They are both easily available at my local fabric store – Sol-U-Film and Wash-n-Gone. The Sol-u-Film is quicker to dissolve but a little tough to stitch through, the Wash–N-Gone a little slower to dissolve but more pleasant to stitch through- ultimately I would say the Wash-N-Gone was my preferred product.





2.Pin your tracing in place then baste to top of mitt being careful to not stitch all the way through to the back.







3.Do a simple outline of you design in running stitch. Folding the cuff up will make it easier to reach inside.




4. Remove basting thread and trim excess transfer material away.


5.Wash transfer fabric away. Note it doesn’t take much water to do this.
6.Let Mitts dry.


7.Embellish and fill in your motif with satin stitch, chain stitch, French knots or any other stitches you like.
8. Give the mitts a final soak. Pat into shape and dry flat.

A note on the yarn- I have used Brown Sheep Nature Spun Sport with great success. It really holds up well to the embroidery. I have a pair of mitts I’ve worn often for the past six years and they still look beautiful.




Of course you can skip all the transfer business and free hand your embroidery, which is really quite fun! Either way you’ll end up with truly one of a kind works of art to give as gifts or for your own enjoyment.


No comments: